Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Turning Points

There comes a time when we have been wounded, slighted, spoken ill of, belittled, or just in general, treated poorly, when we have to turn from the wounding TOWARDS the good that God has for us.

Romans 8:28 "We are assured and know that [[j]God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose."

Isaiah 61:7 "Instead of your shame you will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace you will rejoice in your inheritance. And so you will inherit a double portion in your land, and everlasting joy will be yours."

Close your eyes for a moment and imagine that you have put something down, on the ground or on a surface. Imagine now turning 180 degrees. In that span of time when you are turning from one direction to another, it will feel like you are empty handed. You might be tempted to look back at the offense, the offender and everything you are missing. You may have to fight doubt and unbelief in the promises of God. I know that in addition to that, I tend to project what other people have said about me onto God- assuming that He, too, thinks the very worst of me. 

I've learned that the key is understanding that we might not receive what we are waiting for immediately. It may be months or years. I believe that it is in trusting God to be the need meeter, that our perspective changes from one of being in want, to one of having all that we need because HE is our everything. 

I currently only have a relationship with one brother. My father is dead. My mother is mentally and physically ill. I have 2 siblings that do not speak to me because I am not living up to their expectations regarding our mother- or for other reasons I am not aware of. I am, quite literally, in a position of turning from something, towards something else. I am often tempted to look back, to look down at my empty hands and wonder what God is doing, or wonder when He plans on restoring. I could choose, too, to ponder every word that has been spoken to me in accusation as if it were the truth. But God speaks a truth that is greater than any opposing argument, and we must choose to arm ourselves with the truth. 

Another thing- Romans 8:28 does NOT infer that God purposes bad things to happen to us. God is always good, always kind, always seeking our best interest. PEOPLE, on the other hand, are subject to change. Their words often reflect what is residing in their heart, and their will is involved in that. God didn't will my family to stand in as the accuser in my life because God does not accuse. It says in Revelation 12:10 that satan (literally translated accuser, adversary) stands before God accusing the saints day and night. So, when someone uses accusation or judgement against us- we can be certain that it is not God's hand advising that. Now, that being said- God WILL work together ALL things for good. Not just good things- all things. And sometimes there is a waiting involved in the process, and there is most definitely ALWAYS a turning needed. 

We are not without hope in waiting: Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

One final thing- surround yourself not only with the promises of God, but with people who believe in you, who are not sitting in judgement over your process, and who encourage you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment